Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In the kitchen with Gabbie

Gabbie and I have been having fun in the kitchen making fall goodies! I found a recipe in the family fun magazine ( September issue) for mini caramel apples and Gabbie loved making them. ( she got a bit carried away and decided to dunk some marshmellows too, the kid is crazy about marshmellows) I wondered why the recipe called for butterscotch or peanut butter chips rather than actual caramel, well... do yourself a favor.. follow the recipe, we had a big caramelly mess on our hands when we attempted to do it our way. The caramel refuses to stick to the white of the apple no matter how much you dry it. but if your just dying to have caramel, I did find this twist to the recipe at little birdie secrets. The picture below is our second batch with the butterscotch chips.



After we finished with the caramel apples, we decided to make some cinnamon/applesauce dough ornaments to add to our christmas packages. If you have never tried this before, I would encourage you to try it, Gabbie had a blast and my house smelled like a slice of heaven all day.
Here is the recipe.. give it a try, you'll be glad you did!
1 Cup Applesauce
1 Cup Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Elmers Glue

Mix all the ingredients together.
roll out and cut out with cookie cutters
let air dry for several days.

Here is one of her finished little gingerbread men. we will make him into an ornament and tie him to her teachers christmas gift.



( one down, lots to go..)


What are you and your little ones working on?



1 comment:

Tonya said...

Looks like fun : ) I'm like y'all, I love my caramel, but you're right, it won't stick to the white part of the apples. Marshmallows were a good idea : )

I am assuming the gingerbread men aren't for eating being that elmer's glue is in the recipe lololol They are too cute!